Aug 1: Here goes nothing!

So, it's August and I have been wanting to attempt the unfathomable for awhile now. I really want to write a post every day this month. I know, I know---that's about 20x more than I usually post in a given month. But here me out.

Sometimes it will probably be a single picture with a slightly wordy caption. Sometimes it will be a hodge podge of thoughts, as if I was emailing a girlfriend. Other times, if I'm lucky, it might actually be a cohesive 'meaty' post. But I figure now is the time because it's the start of a new month, life is somewhat settled right now (don't jinx me, blogging gods), and this glass of wine makes me feel chatty.

I don't have any guide or list of topics, though. Is that bad? Oh man, I hope I can pull this off. I am far too competitive to admit defeat so I'm afraid you might have to deal with a lot of posts in your Bloglovin/Feedly from me in the coming weeks.

Why am I doing this? To capture my thoughts better. To break through the 'I don't feel like blogging' barriers. Because writing is my journaling and it helps me sort my thoughts. Also, I take a lot of iphone pictures so this would be one way to document those apart from IG ;)

Right now, I do have a few things on my mind, too. Is it cheating if I just list one thing right now and then draft the other thoughts for different days? I think so.

Did I ever mention that we just had a lot of family visiting us from out of town? My mom was just here for 10 days, Memaw was here for 7 days, Pepaw was here for 2 days, and Nate's brother Jon was here for 7 days. So these four family members represent Colorado, Missouri, and Oregon and we get to see some of them only twice per year. Amazing that they all happened to plan a trip to WI around the same time.

Mom was here because Dad traveled back to MO for a golf trip, so she figured it would be a good time to visit me the grandkids. (Just figured out how to do the strike through thing after almost 7 years of blogging). Pepaw always flies up his own two-seater plane every summer for a big air show in Oshkosh, and Memaw flew commercial this time to see Mom/help with the grandkids. Also, I had a light-bulb moment after Cecelia's first birthday party. I came up with the idea of hiring Andrea for a 'four generations' photo shoot. We are so blessed to have Memaw in spectacular health and I don't plan on that changing anytime soon. But I still want to capture the four of us girls right now because I know we will all cherish these pictures forever. Both my mom and Memaw were really into the idea, too, and both of them requested that Truman be in the pictures, too.

So we did the photoshoot two days ago and I am dying to see all of the images. The teaser Andrea put on FB was adorable and I feel like the shoot went really well. I spent too much time attempting to coordinate the outfits of three women with completely different styles/generations along with two children's outfits, who are easy to dress but difficult to predict when it comes to photo shoots. We went with a 'cool tone' theme, meaning I said 'pick anything that has shades of blue and green and let's see what happens.' I think our outfits came together very nicely and was relieved with how the kids behaved. Also, an exorbitant amount of fruit snacks/chocolate chips are my special secret for maintaining attention spans past 2 seconds. For Truman and Cecelia, that is. My mom and Memaw were fine without bribery;)

Anyway, the photoshoot and the visit with family in general leaves me feeling rather emotional. See also: glass of wine. But seriously. I love when my mom and Memaw (and Pepaw and Jon, too) visit. But I HATE when we have to say goodbye. The last time my mom left Truman came to the airport with me. Very bad decision. He cried the entire way home and thus, I cried as well. Nothing like hearing my sweet three year old say, 'But I miss GoGo, I want to go to Colorado nowwwwwww.' Ugh. So last night Truman did not make the airport trip with me and the goodbyes were slightly less horrific. But still really sad. Same with telling Memaw goodbye today. It's just hard knowing they live so far away and although we are really blessed to have them visit so frequently, it's just not the same as having my family in the same state. They are the best. They do so much for us when they are here, and when they are away. I literally changed Cecelia's diaper about 4 times total in the past 10 days and my mom got Cecelia each morning when the child woke at 5 or earlier, bringing her downstairs to play so mommy could sleep a little longer. I mean, what? I know. They are amazing helpers and are so engaging when they interact with my children. Thank you God, for these women in my life. I do not take it for granted.

I'm not going to include a ton of pictures in each post, but I guess this one turned out to be my 'family visit' recap. Except I didn't even say what we truly did for these 10 days (pool, zoo, playground, driveway, eating, laughing, running, pedi/mani time, eating, etc etc). But anyway, a few pictures from our amazing visits with family.

Last night, hugs from his buddy MM
Untitled

Before the photo shoot, helping the ladies with our hairspray
Untitled

I actually wore 'real' makeup for the shoot.
Untitled

I think we nailed a few shots.
Untitled

Untitled

Oh, I hope all of his forced smiles were like this
Untitled

Doing a 'treasure hunt' with Truman in the back yard
IMG_1893

Some of the out-of-towners, Sunday. Down right chilly!
IMG_1887

IMG_1858

IMG_1832

IMG_1812

Playground with everyone
Untitled

Watching TV together
Untitled

One of many awesome 'group effort' dinners. At the most, we had 8 adults and 2 kids at this table. Love it!
Untitled

Pool time!
Untitled

Untitled

Zoo time!
Untitled

Kissing with popsicle sticks
IMG_1659

Off to the playground we go
Untitled


What a fun 10 days, huh?

Crap, August has 31 days in it, doesn't it?

13 comments:

  1. Yessss!! This makes me so happy! Love seeing posts from you every day :) If you run out of ideas, I'm sure you could request ideas from your readers and we will oblige :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun!! No way do I have the stamina, but I'm more than happy to read 31 posts from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to tomorrow's already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! And pre-drafting posts isn't cheating. I usually write down a few ideas for the week so I have direction, I'm really bad with coming up with things on the spot.

    Love that you have such a close and active family! Can't wait to see the pics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia, I have been obsessed with your blog for years but this is the first comment I have left (I am one of those secret stalkers :-) Anyway, just letting you know that I am so excited to have a new post everyday. Can't wait to read about your cute kids this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! I love reading your blog and I'm excited to hear your random thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's hard living away from family, but these long amazing visits make it a little easier, huh? It always helps put it into perspective for me, when all of my friends who have family that live in town are constantly complaining about them. I know there's good and bad to both situations, but I think these kinds of visits help ease the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited you're doing this challenge! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with posting every day. Drafting isn't cheating. It helps to write a few lines to remind yourself what you wanted to talk about.

    Your pictures make me miss my grandparents who aren't around anymore. Beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot for a post a day! I look forward to them. ;) Love all the pics from your fam's visit - you are very blessed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting, I love reading your blog and I'm looking forward to lots of posts from you this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a post you are going to cherish for years. There is so much emotion! (Must be that wine.) It looks like you all had a great time. It makes me hopeful that if I move away from my family, I can still have rich relationships and experiences with them like you. The picture around the dinner table is wonderful- it looks like such fun, happy chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are doing a huge family photo on Sunday and I am totally stressing about the clothes - color scheme, not too matchy, not too many clashing prints. You seem so calm and collect about yours. Wish I had that! Or maybe I just need to trust that people will wear appropriate clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Sorry that commenting through Blogger can be a royal pain. I'm glad you are commenting despite that, and please email me if you are having issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...